Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Quality vs. Quantity

Maybe Bush should be focusing on better training for U.S. and Iraqi soldiers, rather than just more soldiers. Apparently, in order to meet demand, the Army is giving more waivers in recruiting. As the NYT article details, these waivers are for moral, educational, or health reasons. It really gets me that a high school dropout or convicted felon might end up armed in Iraq, but an Arabic-speaking homosexual would be excluded from serving. I would think one gay translator would be worth several barely literate heteros.
Please do not mistake me. I do not mean to imply that the majority of the men and women serving in our military are somehow not good enough. However, the trend of lowering recruitment standards to increase troop levels should be cause for alarm. IMHO, the situation also calls for a reexamination of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.
I would also like to remind all that I am opposed to the planned escalation of the war in Iraq. Unfortunately, though, nobody seems willing or able to stop the implementation of this ridiculous plan, so I am also advocating for a change in policy to increase the quality of our troops, not just the quantity.

No comments: