Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Georgians KIA in Iraq Part Four: Captain Edward J. Korn


Captain Edward Jason Korn, 31, of Savannah, was killed on April 3, 2003. He was killed by friendly fire while scouting for Iraqi positions during a tank battle 15 miles southeast of Baghdad. Captain Korn grew up at the Bethesda Home for Boys. Jason, as his family called him, was a Desert Storm Veteran and Bronze Star recipient. He had been stationed at Fort Knox, but volunteered for war duty in March 2003. He was deployed with the 3rd Infantry Division out of Fort Stewart. There is a great deal of information about Captain Korn at the Arlington website. This is where I found this quote, from William McIlrath, assistant director of the Bethesda Home, who remembered Jason from his time there: "The thing that really impressed me about him was that he always told the truth, no matter how much it embarassed him or got him into trouble." If only the same could be said for President Bush, maybe Captain Korn would still be with us today.

Related: Inspiration, Part One, Parts Two and Three

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to say I like this series, b/c it is a horrible thing. But I want to say I appreciate what you are doing b/c I think it is important that people realize that we are dealing w/ human beings, not random numbers you read in a paper or on a television scream.

Did that come off as complimentary as I had meant it?

Thank-you for helping show that we are dealing w/ people.

liberalandproud said...

Did that come off as complimentary as I had meant it?
Absolutely. You totally got why I am doing this. The reason I am focusing on Georgians is to de-other these men (and one woman). Not only are we dealing with people, they are from our state. This war is a local issue.