Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"The Trojan Women" Concept

Each semester, my students create a production project for their final. They are to present a design/concept/budget/monologue for a play they have read. This semester, in order to better illustrate what I am looking for, I have decided to prepare a presentation of my own. I chose Euripides' "The Trojan Women" as the play. I decided to assume the role of director and present the director's concept to them. "The Trojan Women" is about more than the sacking of an ancient city. At its core, it presents the audience with the idea that war is hell, especially for the "survivors." While I realize that the genocide in Darfur is not a factual parallel with the defeat of Troy by the Greeks, I felt that the emotional truth was there. I wanted to make the play relevant, demonstrating the timeless nature of its themes. I am working on a power point presentation showing visual elements, casting ideas, and musical inspiration. The following is a slide show I found on You Tube produced by the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee:

No comments: