Monday, August 21, 2006

Recommended reading/viewing

First, I must advise everyone that reads this post to get a copy of "Where Would Jesus Put The Sidewalks?" by Dr. James A. Nelson (aka Rev. Jim Nelson, candidate for congress). Regardless of your religious affiliation, I think you'll find this book to be a fascinating exploration of the connection between faith and politics. Granted, it is definitely written with the Christian reader in mind, but anyone interested in politics needs to be able to speak to Christians using their own terms. There are discussion questions at the end of each chapter that are perfect for a bible study or book club.
Second, I have three movies to recommend. I doubt any of them will be nominated for Oscars, but I thoroughly enjoyed all three of them. Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby might not have been as funny if my buddy Jack McBrayer weren't cast as Glenn. Still, I had a good time, even if I did spend the whole movie waiting for the next time Jack's giant grin would appear. I also recently saw Snakes On A Plane! That m*&%er f*^@in' movie is m*&%er f*^@in' awesome! Loved every minute of it. You must see it in the theatre to get the full communal experience of screaming until you laugh until you scream again. Finally, Accepted may not be the most original or intelligent movie ever made, but I liked it. It's a college misfits movie in the line of Revenge of The Nerds, Van Wilder, and PCU, and I'm apparently not old enough to be bored with those movies yet.
With school back in, I'm not sure I'll have much time for movies, but I hope y'all find the time.

1 comment:

Georgia Veteran said...

OK Kelly... we may not agree on much, but on this one we do agree.

"Snakes on a plane" is the best movie I have seen in years!

I laughed, cheered and jumped!