Monday, July 17, 2006

Vote! Vote! Vote!

Tomorrow is the primary, and we must all vote! I am frustrated that I will have so little say in my local elections, since most are decided in Republican primaries and I vote Democrat. Still, my voice will be heard in state- and district- wide races. I've been a Greg Hecht supporter since he came here months ago, but his latest shenanigans are making me wonder. I don't know if a win-at-all-costs attitude is ever really appropriate, but it seems even more foolish during a primary campaign. There's nothing wrong with pointing out your opponent's shortcomings, but the mailers sent out by the Hecht campaign really are misleading. Should Jim Martin have done a better job at DFACS? Sure, but the incendiary language of the Hecht mailer goes too far. Democrats need to offer an alternative to the Rove-like politicking of the right, not more of the same. Honestly, I'd like to find some middle ground. It seems that we're either just as bad as the GOP, or too principled to win, like Rev. Nelson. It shouldn't be about how much money you raise, but it often is.
Here's what my ballot will probably look like:
Gov: Taylor (although I wish he'd shaved before the debate)
Lt. Gov: Hecht or Martin (can't believe Greg might lose my vote)
SOS: Holcomb or Ray (I only know I can't stand Darryl Hicks)
Sup of Schools: Majette (it'd be nice if she'd try)
1st district Congress: Nelson (I wish I had $$$ to give him)

What about y'all? Has anything changed your mind recently? Did you vote early? Are you regretting it? Are you wondering if we'll even make it to November, with all the insanity in the middle east?

No comments: